"Each man has a song and this is my song." (Leonard Cohen)

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Hi-yo, Silver! Away!


 
Exciting news, that Johnny Depp is going to be Tonto next year in a big budget ‘Lone Ranger rides again’, as it were.

I’m sure you knew about this but in case you didn’t, after rejoicing, click on this link and you will thrill to the news. You can see the trailer too. It’s being directed by Gore Verbinski, of Rango fame. He also directed JD in Pirates 1, 2 and 3. So he knows all about blockbuster adventure yarns. And, given Rango, I guess he knows a little about Westerns too, in a way.



 
Of course I am not the only one for whom The Lone Ranger was an introduction to the magic world of the Western. I was five when I saw my first screen cowboy and it was The Lone Ranger on TV.

This event, ah, triggered my lifelong love of Westerns and determination to seek out new ones.



 
Anyway, if you are interested (what am I saying? Of course you are interested) you can see the whole of the very first Lone Ranger TV film, the 68-minute 1949 pilot Enter The Lone Ranger, free by clicking on my fellow blogger’s excellent site Rope and Wire

 
 
 
Doubtless the new one in 2013 will be full of special effects and loud noises. Mr. Depp, who has, I believe, some Indian blood, plays Tonto, an interesting choice. In Dead Man, of course, he played the dumb white man and Gary Farmer did the (outstandingly good) job as the Indian sidekick.

There was talk that Columbia was going to make Tonto female, for the love interest. I ask you. I’m glad that idea was squashed.

The under-performance of Cowboys and Aliens gave the studio cold feet, apparently, but the movie is back on track and now scheduled for launch in July next year. I wonder if Butch Cavendish will have a pencil mustache.

Anyway, it’s all very exciting, is it not? "Hi-yo, Silver! Away!"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment